Do you know how many stores are currently live on Shopify?
Over 2 million — 2,130,119, to be exact.
And there’s no limit on the number of products you can sell on Shopify.
How many products do Shopify stores usually have?
29.2% of Shopify stores sell under 10 different products, which is quite easy to manage.
But if you’re selling hundreds of products as 24.7% of Shopify sellers do, it can be difficult for your customers to sort through them if you don’t have them organized in collections.
This is why in this blog post, we’re going to talk about adding a collection to a Shopify page.
We’ll walk you through the entire process — from creating manual collections with customized product displays to automated collections for managing inventory changes efficiently.
You will also learn how to optimize collection pages for mobile devices, enhance product content, display recommended products alongside listings, customize templates specifically for collections, and even manage posting dates.
Get ready to become an expert at adding a collection to a Shopify page in no time!
Table of Contents:
- How to Add a Collection to a Shopify Page Manually
- Organizing Products Within a Shopify Collection
- Streamline Your Shopify Store with Automated Collections
- Mobile Optimization
- Enhancing Content Within Collection Pages
- Boost Your Sales with Recommended Products in Listings
- Customizing Shopify Templates for Collections
- Scheduled Collection Posting
How to Add a Collection to a Shopify Page Manually
Manual collections give you the power to easily add or remove specific items.
To create a product collection in Shopify:
- Log in to your Shopify admin panel.
- From the sidebar, click on “Products” and then select “Collections.”
- On the Collections page, click on the “Create collection” button.
- Give your collection a catchy title. This is the name that will be displayed on your storefront to identify the collection.
- Optionally, you can enter a description for your collection to provide more information about it.
- In the “Collection type” section, select the type of collection you want to create. In this case, choose “Manual” to manually select which products to include in the collection.
- Scroll down to the “Products” section and click on the “Add products” button. In the search field, enter the name of the product you want to add to the collection and select it from the results. Repeat this step to add multiple products. Alternatively, you can browse and select products using the “Browse” tab, where you can filter products by various criteria.
- Customize the collection’s display settings, such as the sort order, the number of products to show per page, and any other available options.
- Once you’re finished configuring the collection, click on the “Save” button to create it.
- You can now use this collection in your Shopify store by adding it to a page or menu or promoting it through various channels.
Remember to regularly review and update your collections as you add new products or make changes to existing ones to ensure they accurately reflect your store’s offerings.
Organizing Products Within a Shopify Collection
Organizing products within a manual collection is key to enhancing user experience and driving sales.
Follow these steps to manually organize products in a Shopify collection:
- Log in to your Shopify admin panel.
- From the sidebar, click on “Products” and then select “Collections.”
- On the Collections page, locate the collection for which you want to organize the products and click on its title to edit it.
- In the collection editor, you’ll find a section called “Products.”
- By default, the products are usually listed in the order they were added to the collection. To change the order, click on the “Manual” button next to the “Sort products by” option. The products will now be displayed with a handle (a series of three horizontal lines) next to each product’s title.
- To reorder the products within the collection, click and hold the handle next to the product you want to move. Drag the product up or down to the desired position within the collection. Release the mouse button to drop the product into the new position.
- Repeat Step 6 for each product you want to reorder within the collection.
- If you want to remove a product from the collection, you can click on the “x” icon next to the product’s title in the collection editor.
- You can also add more products to the collection by clicking on the “Add products” button and selecting additional products from your store’s inventory.
- Once you’ve finished organizing the products in the collection, click on the “Save” button to save your changes.
- The collection will now reflect the new order of products as you’ve arranged them.
Remember that changes to the order of products in a collection won’t affect the order of the products in your store’s general product list. The manual organization is specific to each collection and allows you to curate and present products in a desired sequence within that particular collection.
Now that you’ve mastered manual collections, it’s time to explore the world of automated collections and how they can streamline your Shopify page organization.
Streamline Your Shopify Store with Automated Collections
Automated collections are great for managing large inventories or seasonal selections. Just set specific conditions and your store will automatically include matching products in the collection.
Shopify’s guide on automated collections is an excellent resource to get started.
You can generate a maximum of 5,000 automated collections. Each collection can contain up to 60 conditions. If you currently have a collection with more than 60 conditions, it is still usable. You are allowed to modify or remove its existing conditions, but adding new ones while exceeding the limit is not possible.
Setting up Automated Collection Conditions
In the “Conditions” section, you can define the rules that will automatically include products in the collection based on specific attributes. Here’s how you can set up conditions:
- Click on the “Add condition” button to define a new rule.
- Choose the attribute you want to base the condition on, such as product title, product tag, product type, vendor, or others.
- Select the condition operator, such as “equals,” “contains,” “starts with,” or other available options.
- Enter the value or text that should meet the condition. For example, if you’re using the “Product title” attribute and the condition operator is “contains,” you can enter a specific word or phrase that should be present in the product title for it to be included in the collection.
- Click on the “Add condition” button again if you want to define additional rules. By default, the collection will include products that meet any of the conditions (OR logic). If you want to change it to all conditions (AND logic), click on the “All conditions” dropdown and select “Product must match all conditions.”
- You can add multiple conditions to further refine the automated collection. The products that match the defined conditions will be automatically added to the collection.
Customize the display settings for the collection, such as the sort order, the number of products to show per page, and any other available options.
Once you’re finished configuring the collection and its conditions, click on the “Save” button to create or update the automated collection.
Shopify will automatically populate the collection with products that meet the specified conditions. The collection will be dynamically updated as you add new products or modify existing ones that meet the defined rules.
By setting up conditions for automated collections, you can streamline the process of categorizing and organizing products on your Shopify store based on specific attributes or criteria.
If you need to remove a product from an automated collection, consider adjusting its conditions or editing the product details so it no longer matches those criteria. This way, you maintain control over what appears in each collection without sacrificing automation benefits.
Did you know that 79% of visits to Shopify stores come from mobile devices? That’s why optimizing for mobile is crucial without sacrificing conversions.
To optimize Shopify collections for mobile devices, follow these best practices:
Choose a responsive theme: Select a responsive theme from the Shopify Theme Store or ensure that your existing theme is mobile-friendly. Responsive themes automatically adapt to different screen sizes and provide a better user experience on mobile devices.
Write clear and concise titles: Keep the collection titles short, descriptive, and easy to read on mobile screens. Avoid lengthy titles that may get cut off or take up too much space.
Upload high-quality images: Optimize your collection images for mobile devices by ensuring they are high-quality, visually appealing, and properly sized. Use images that are clear and engaging to capture the attention of mobile users.
Consider mobile-friendly layouts: Check how your collections appear on mobile devices and ensure they are visually appealing and well-organized. Use a layout that makes it easy for users to browse and navigate through the collection on smaller screens.
Limit the number of products per row: Reduce the number of products displayed per row on mobile devices to avoid overcrowding and ensure that product images and information are easily visible and clickable.
Optimize product descriptions: Keep product descriptions concise and to the point, highlighting the key features and benefits. Mobile users may have limited screen space, so it’s important to provide essential information without overwhelming them.
Implement clear navigation: Use clear and intuitive navigation elements, such as drop-down menus or filters, to help users easily explore and find products within your collections. Ensure that navigation menus are accessible and user-friendly on mobile devices.
Enable quick view or swipe functionality: Consider adding quick view or swipe functionality to your collection pages, allowing mobile users to quickly preview product details or swipe through products for a smoother browsing experience.
Ensure fast page load times: Optimize your collection pages to load quickly on mobile devices. Compress images, minimize the use of large files or scripts, and leverage caching techniques to improve loading speed.
Test and optimize: Regularly test your collection pages on various mobile devices to ensure they display properly and provide a seamless user experience. Make adjustments as needed based on user feedback and analytics data.
By implementing these optimization techniques, you can enhance the mobile experience for your Shopify collections, making it easier for mobile users to browse, engage, and make purchases on your store.
By the way, we also wrote a guide on how to optimize your collection pages for SEO.
Screenshot from Finances Online
Enhancing Content Within Collection Pages
Adding various types of content to your collection pages can improve user experience and search engine optimization.
One effective method is integrating FAQ accordions, which provide helpful information without cluttering the page.
Besides FAQs, custom meta fields offer another way to include additional information on collection pages.
The Metafields Editor app enables you to add extra details like product specifications or care instructions directly within each listing’s HTML code using Metafield tags.
- Tech specs: Include dimensions, weight, materials used, etc., for physical products.
- User guides: Offer step-by-step instructions or video tutorials on how to use the product effectively.
- Care instructions: Explain proper maintenance procedures for long-lasting results.
Example of an FAQ section from Magic Spoon
Boost Your Sales with Recommended Products in Listings
Enhance your customers’ browsing experience and increase your sales potential by showcasing recommended products alongside individual item listings.
Consider factors like product categories, customer preferences, and purchasing history to make relevant suggestions.
Upsell by creating enticing bundles or offering discounts on related items, showcase value, leverage social proof, and create urgency to encourage customers to act quickly.
Remember, displaying relevant recommended products is a powerful way of increasing visibility and providing upsell opportunities, so utilize this strategy effectively and watch your sales grow.
Customizing Shopify Templates for Collections
Organizing your Shopify pages is easy with the right templates.
First, head to the Merchant Dashboard under the Themes tab to browse through collection-specific templates.
Once you have located the ideal template, press “Customize” to modify it with different hues, typefaces, and other design components.
Pictures are powerful – pick visuals that effectively portray your products and attract buyers.
For consistency, use similar styles, tones, or themes across all images in a given collection.
Consider adding text overlays or captions if necessary, but don’t clutter or distract from the product.
Pro Tip: Optimize images for faster loading times using tools like TinyPNG or Compressor.io.
In a nutshell: Customizing templates and images can significantly enhance your Shopify collection pages, making them more visually appealing and user-friendly.
Take advantage of available resources, optimize images for faster loading times, and watch as your online store flourishes.
Scheduled Collection Posting
Want to make sure your customers can see your collection on your online store? Set a publishing date.
Scheduling ahead of time allows you to prepare content in advance while maintaining consistent release dates for new products or seasonal items.
To do this in Shopify, go to Products > Collections, select the desired collection, and choose “Set a specific publish date.”
Choose a time that works for your audience and click “Save.”
Tips for Effective Scheduling
- Analyze customer behavior patterns: Schedule releases during peak browsing hours or days when engagement is highest.
- Create anticipation: Announce upcoming launches through email campaigns or social media posts. This builds excitement among potential buyers.
- Maintain consistency: Keep regular intervals between releases (e.g., weekly, monthly) so customers know what to expect and look forward to.
Regularly review existing collections, remove outdated inventory, and merge similar categories to keep your store organized and easy to navigate.
Adding a collection to a Shopify page brings numerous advantages, including improved organization, enhanced navigation, upselling opportunities, personalized experiences, SEO benefits, customization options, and streamlined inventory management.
By managing collections effectively, you can create a more engaging and seamless shopping journey for your customers, resulting in increased sales and customer satisfaction.