So you’ve built a sleek Shopify store, stocked with incredible products.
If your Shopify store earned more than $616 in revenue per customer, then you’re in the 10% of the best-performing stores on Shopify.
The average revenue per customer in 2022 was $302 — which is more than four times the average of only $72 in 2020. This is hardly surprising with the pandemic forcing everyone to stay at home and shop from their couches.
But what is a bad revenue per customer?
But, not to worry — if sales just aren’t coming in as expected, don’t lose hope!
In this blog post, we’ll unveil effective strategies to grow your Shopify business and boost those sales numbers. 💪
From mastering the platform itself to leveraging influencer partnerships, we’ve got it all covered.
Dive into these proven tactics that will help transform your online store into a thriving enterprise.
Table of Contents:
- Mastering the Shopify Platform: Unlock New Revenue Streams
- 12 Effective Strategies to Grow Your Shopify Business
- 1. Optimize Your Online Store
- 2. Content Marketing
- 3. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- 4. Social Media Marketing
- 5. Email Marketing
- 6. Customer Reviews and Testimonials
- 7. Offer Discounts and Promotions
- 8. Collaborate with Influencers
- 9. Retargeting Campaigns
- 10. Customer Support and Engagement
- 11. Collaborate with Complementary Businesses
- 12. Analyze Data and Make Data-Driven Decisions
- Create Content Around Multiple Products: Diversify and Dominate
- Breaking Down Smart Strategies to Grow Your Shopify Business
Mastering the Shopify Platform: Unlock New Revenue Streams
Did you know? Shopify holds the lion’s share of the market for e-commerce platforms: 29%. (The next closest competitor is WooCommerce, which holds 18% of the market share.)
The Shopify platform is THE place to be. That’s why becoming an expert in the Shopify platform is crucial for scaling your online store and tapping into new revenue opportunities.
- Join the Shopify Partner Program to access resources that will help you grow your business exponentially.
- Develop custom applications tailored to your niche market, addressing customer pain points and enhancing their shopping experience.
- Explore popular Shopify apps for inspiration and identify gaps in functionality that can be filled by your custom solution.
- Stand out from competitors with a visually appealing design and a successful e-commerce strategy.
Immerse yourself in the Shopify ecosystem by learning about its features, staying updated on new developments, and engaging with fellow partners through forums or events like the Shopify Partner Summit.
Screenshot from Oberlo
12 Effective Strategies to Grow Your Shopify Business
Growing a Shopify business requires a combination of effective strategies that focus on attracting new customers, increasing sales, and enhancing customer satisfaction. Here are some strategies to help you grow your Shopify business:
1. Optimize Your Online Store
Ensure that your Shopify store is user-friendly, visually appealing, and optimized for mobile devices. Use high-quality product images, clear product descriptions, and easy navigation to enhance the user experience.
2. Content Marketing
Create valuable and engaging content related to your products or industry. Write blog posts, create videos, and offer useful guides or tutorials. Share this content on your website, social media platforms, and email newsletters to attract and engage your target audience.
Not sure how to add a blog to your Shopify store? Follow our guide to adding a new blog.
3. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Implement SEO strategies to improve your website’s visibility in search engine results. Conduct keyword research, optimize product descriptions and meta tags, build backlinks, and regularly update your content to improve your search engine rankings.
4. Social Media Marketing
Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest are great places to promote your products and engage with your audience. Create a consistent brand presence, share compelling visuals, run targeted ads, and leverage influencers to expand your reach.
5. Email Marketing
If you still haven’t done it yet, start building an email list of interested customers and send regular newsletters with updates, promotions, and exclusive offers. Personalize your emails, segment your audience, and use automation to deliver relevant content and drive repeat purchases.
6. Customer Reviews and Testimonials
Encourage your satisfied customers to leave reviews and testimonials on your website or third-party platforms. Positive reviews help build trust and credibility, attracting new customers to your business.
7. Offer Discounts and Promotions
Run seasonal sales, offer discount codes, bundle products, or introduce loyalty programs to incentivize customers to make a purchase. Promote these offers through various channels to increase sales and customer retention.
8. Collaborate with Influencers
You don’t have to do it alone. Look for influential social media personalities or bloggers who have an audience that aligns with your target market. Collaborations can include sponsored content, product reviews, or giveaways to expand your brand’s reach and gain exposure.
9. Retargeting Campaigns
Retargeting ads are designed to reach out to potential customers who have previously visited your website or shown interest in your products. Display relevant ads across various platforms to remind them of your brand and encourage them to complete their purchase.
10. Customer Support and Engagement
If you provide excellent customer support, your buyers will stay loyal and even become your brand advocate through positive word-of-mouth. Respond promptly to inquiries, offer personalized assistance, and engage with your customers on social media to create a positive and memorable experience.
11. Collaborate with Complementary Businesses
You can also partner with other businesses in your industry that offer complementary products or services. This can include cross-promotions, joint marketing campaigns, or co-hosting events to expand your customer base.
12. Analyze Data and Make Data-Driven Decisions
Analytics is an important aspect of measuring business growth. Use analytics tools to track website traffic, conversion rates, customer behavior, and sales data. Analyze this information to identify trends, understand customer preferences, and optimize your marketing strategies accordingly.
Remember, growing a business takes time and consistent effort. Continuously monitor and evaluate your strategies, adapt to changing market conditions, and stay committed to providing value to your customers.
Now let’s break down some of these steps in detail.
Screenshot from Shopify
Breaking Down Smart Strategies to Grow Your Shopify Business
Create Content Around Multiple Products: Diversify and Dominate
First things first, diversify your product offerings within your niche market to attract different customers and increase sales opportunities.
Identify gaps in the market or complementary products that can be bundled together for added value. (Check out Shopify’s blog on product ideas for inspiration.)
After that, create content around your products, showcasing them in valuable ways that help your audience. Listicles, round-ups, and product reviews are great content types to help customers understand what you offer in a non-salesy way.
Need help creating content? Consider enlisting an AI writer like Content at Scale that can produce fully fleshed-out, researched, long-form SEO content in minutes. Just enter your keyword in the tool and let it fly.
Promote on Social Media for Maximum Exposure
Use the reach of social media to your advantage. Advertise your wide selection of products on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter. Create eye-catching visuals and engaging captions tailored to each platform’s audience.
- Instagram: Share high-quality images with relevant hashtags and tag influencers in your industry.
- Pinterest: Create visually appealing pins that link directly back to your store.
- Facebook and Twitter: Post regular updates about new product launches or promotions, and engage with your audience through comments or direct messages.
By creating content around multiple products and sharing them on social media, you’ll be well on your way to growing your Shopify business.
Send Targeted Messages to Your Email List
To maximize the impact of your email marketing efforts:
- Create targeted campaigns tailored to specific customer segments.
- Craft compelling subject lines that grab attention.
- Incorporate personalized elements (e.g., using the recipient’s name).
- Add clear calls-to-action (CTAs).
- Test and optimize your campaigns to improve open rates, click-through rates, and conversions.
- Check out Shopify apps that help you integrate email marketing seamlessly with your store.
Screenshot from Shopify Apps
Partner with Influencers
Partnering with established brands or influencers can be a game-changer for your Shopify business — amplifying reach, sharing valuable PR resources, and boosting credibility among potential customers.
To maximize the potential of these partnerships, you must first identify influencers who align with your brand and target audience. Then create a shortlist of potential partners and start building relationships through social media engagement or email outreach.
Collaborating on content creation can be an effective way to share each other’s expertise while maximizing exposure for both parties involved. You can pitch guest blog posts, produce co-branded videos, or host joint webinars. Just make sure any collaboration adheres to FTC guidelines for transparency and disclosure.
By leveraging influencer partnerships and sharing PR resources, you’ll be well on your way to expanding your reach, boosting credibility, and driving more sales for your Shopify business.
Screenshot from Beloved Brands
Run Loyalty Programs in Your Store
A tiered rewards system can motivate customers to level up by making more purchases and unlocking better perks along the way.
Offer points for every dollar spent or reward specific actions like leaving product reviews or referring friends.
Treat your returning customers with tailor-made discounts, early access to new products, or even birthday surprises.
To start your loyalty program:
- Select a suitable loyalty program app like Smile or Yotpo in the Shopify App Store.
- Customize the program to align with your brand and customer preferences.
- Promote the loyalty program through email marketing, social media, and on-site banners.
By integrating a well-designed loyalty program into your Shopify store, you’ll foster long-lasting relationships with customers who will choose you over competitors time after time.
Screenshot from Yotpo
Roll Out Upselling and Referral Programs
Want to increase your average order value? Upselling helps enhance your customers’ shopping experience while allowing you to promote higher-priced items.
Offer product bundles or add-ons that complement buyer purchases, and incorporate limited-time offers to create a sense of urgency.
Referral programs can also boost organic growth and customer acquisition – reward loyal customers who refer friends and family with incentives like discounts or free products.
Make it easy for customers to share referrals by integrating social sharing buttons in emails or on your website’s product pages.
Screenshot from Shopify Apps
Make Your Products Shine Through Ads
First impressions matter, and high-quality images can make all the difference in your Google Shopping ads.
A good image can speak volumes, so take the time and effort to craft appealing visuals that will draw people in.
Pro tip: Consider hiring a professional photographer or using advanced editing tools like Adobe Photoshop.
Moving beyond Google Shopping ads, leverage these visual assets across multiple promotional channels for maximum impact. This includes incorporating them into email campaigns, social media posts, and even on-site promotions such as discounts or free shipping offers.
To do this:
- Showcase products from different angles – Give shoppers a comprehensive view of what they’re purchasing.
- Incorporate lifestyle shots – Demonstrate how the product fits seamlessly into everyday life by featuring it in real-life settings with people using it.
- Add context – Use props or backgrounds that complement the product without distracting from its features.
- Edit photos professionally – Ensure proper lighting, color balance, and sharpness are achieved through post-processing techniques.
- Create an inventory of high-quality images – Take several photos of each product you offer and repurpose them across various marketing channels to maintain consistency in branding while maximizing visibility among your target audience.
Joint Marketing Initiatives and Industry Events
Collaborating with complementary businesses on joint marketing initiatives can be a boon for your Shopify store.
Co-branded email campaigns, social media takeovers, and even product collaborations are just a few examples of how you can boost brand awareness together.
Remember, two heads are better than one.
Attending industry events and tradeshows is another effective way to showcase your products or services.
Network with like-minded professionals, acquire knowledge from the specialists in your area of expertise and build up prospects for potential sales.
Where to start?
- Research potential partners within your niche that share similar values and customer bases. Reach out to them with a proposal for collaboration on a specific project or campaign.
- Identify relevant industry events happening in the coming months. Register early (sometimes there’s an early bird discount) and start planning how you will present yourself at these gatherings. Think about booth design, promotional materials, etc.
- Share event-specific hashtags on social media platforms like LinkedIn or Twitter during these events.
- Engage in conversations online while showcasing highlights from the event itself. This will help expand your reach beyond physical attendees.
Incorporating joint marketing efforts into your overall strategy not only increases visibility but also adds credibility through association with respected industry players.
So, don’t hesitate to explore these opportunities and watch your Shopify business grow.
In the fast-paced world of e-commerce, growing your Shopify business requires a combination of strategic planning, innovative marketing, and unwavering dedication.
By optimizing your online store, creating valuable content, leveraging social media, and nurturing customer relationships, you can unlock the potential for exponential growth.
Stay agile, analyze data, and adapt your strategies to meet the evolving needs of your target audience.
Remember, with perseverance and a customer-centric approach, your Shopify business can flourish, reaching new heights of success in the exploding digital marketplace.